Historic Marker 08 – First | Previous Picture | Next Picture | Thumbnails | Home | Back
FIRST LEGAL LIQUOR STORE
1304 Hwy. 82 E
Greenville MS

On August 6, 1966, the first legal liquor store in Mississippi following Prohibition opened here. The "Jigger & Jug", owned by the Azar brothers, was a prototypical self-serve package liquor store. Mississippi, which had banned the manufacturing and sale of alcohol in 1907, was the last state to end prohibition.

Marker