Home  
  St. John's Church  
  Back  
St. John's Church – Photo courtesy of Cornelia Touchberry as reprinted from Elmo Howell's book "Mississippi Scenes: Notes on Literature and History"
IN REMEMBRANCE – Here stood St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church, erected 1854-1856, consecrated April 5th, 1857 by Bishop Wm. Mercer Green, Sr., exposed to wind and water when lead from its windows was made into bullets during the War Between the States and finally destroyed by a cyclone in 1904.

Greenfield Cemetery has been hallowed ground since 1852 when Jonathon McCaleb deeded this site to St. John's Parish whose wardens then were Robert J. Turnbull and Christopher F. Hampton and whose vestrymen included Wade Hampton, Wade Hampton, Jr., John T. Chapman, Henry P. Duncan, John Butts, C. F. Hamil, Thomas J. Likens and Abram F. Smith.

This centennial marker was placed here in 1962 by Francis Stuart Harmon in loving tribute to relatives and friends asleep here......

"Till the day break and shadows flee away."

Ruins of St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church, erected 1854-1856, destroyed by a tornado in 1904. (Frontal view)

One of three underground storm shelters at ruins of St. John's Protestant Episcopal Church, destroyed by a tornado in 1904.

  Home  
  St. John's Church  
  Back