Historic Marker 25 – First | Previous Picture | Next Picture | Thumbnails | Home | Back
ST. MATTHEW'S A.M.E CHURCH
514 Nelson St.
Greenville MS

St. Matthew's A.M.E. Church, organized in 1867 and originally located on Levee Street, was the first A.M.E. church established in the Delta and the fourth begun in Mississippi. Moved to its present site in 1890, this church was visited by Herbert Hoover in 1927, poet Langston Hughes in 1931, and Leontyne Price in 1949.

Marker