Historic Marker 34 – First | Previous Picture | Next Picture | Thumbnails | Home | Back
OLD HIGHWAY 1
Roy's Store
Chatham MS

In 1916 the Washington County Board of Supervisors proposed the construction of 144.6 miles of paved roads throughout the county. In June 1916 voters approved a $950,000 bond, and in 1917 C. G. Kershaw of Birmingham, Alabama, was awarded the first contracts. Among the first of these roads to be constructed was Hwy. 1, which stretched from Greenville to Glen Allan. This section of road running from Longwood to Chatham is a portion of the original Highway 1.

Marker