Washington County Courthouse
July 12, 2011
- 6:05 p.m. meeting called to order
- Recognize Guests: None
- Roll Call of Commissioners. Walley Morse, Princella Nowell, Melanie Sanders, Emmett Smith and Dell
Jones. Johnnie Gibson and Dorothy Williams excused, Cindy Ayers and Betty Coleman absent.
- Minutes were read from June 14, and approved as read.
- MDAH had found issues with Nancy Bells survey and had requested some additional work done
on the survey. Walley had sent a certified letter to Vicki Myers (MDAH) showing the final report
of the CLG grant and the expatiation of MDAH refunding the Commission the $2,880.00 that the
MDAH owes the commission. Also in that letter were the proposed boundaries of the
Downtown Greenville Historic Local Business District, as required by ordinance. The public
meeting that is required by ordinance is set for August 9, 2011 at the Commissionís regular
monthly meeting. The meeting to be held at the City Council Chambers in City Hall starting at 4
PM. Dell made the motion and Emmett 2nd and passed. Also Walley had met with Carlon
Williams (City Planning) and had provided the public notice to run in the paper 3 consecutive
weeks before the public meeting. Planning department would absorb the cost. The actual
ordinance Walley had almost completed with just the legal description of the districtís
boundaries left to do. City Engineer would provide that. Walley would have copies of the
proposed local district at the City clerkís office. At the public meeting maps, ordinance, sign in
sheets, common questions asked and other handouts would be provided.
- Walley had received a notice from the National Trust that the commission would receive
$1,000.00 from the trust to partner with Belinda Stewart to draw up some plans and drawings
for the Depot.
- King Daughters and Sons Circle # 2 grant notice would be received by August 1 (if we got it or
- The ClG grant for the nomination of the Downtown Historic District to the National Register is
ready except for the person who will actually do the Grant. Since MDAH had issues yet to be
resolved by Nancy Bell, Walley had looked for an alternate. Russell Archer (former MDAH
employee) was a candidate yet to be authorized by MDAH. Emmett made a motion to hire
Russell if he would do the nomination for the CLG authorized amount ($4,500.00) Princella
seconded and it passed. Russell is supposed to come to Greenville July 18th.
- John Fox marker. Brad Jones has a picture of the marker in his pocket to remind him to get it
placed at the Riverboat Welcome Center.
- Hollandale contract had been signed by Hollandale Mayor Willis and as soon as Dell Jones gets
them she will call Walley to pick them up. Walley will call Nancy Bell to make sure she is on
board with the requirements MDAH has set for the survey.
- Bank statements were reviewed.
- Princella went over the procedures to have a public meeting and Walley agreed to modify those
and notify everyone on what was expected.
— Minutes done by Walley Morse, Secretary.
- Article in Leland Progress about Lelandís Historic Preservation Commission action against the
South Delta Regional Housing Authority discussed. The question of what legal action did the
commission have when someone disregards city ordinance was raised.
- Trip to Eupora to look at their city and Depot that had been redone for their Economic
Development office. Betty Lynn Cameron, Main Street, to see if she will organize trip with Delta
EDC, and interested others.
- Commissioner Cindy Ayers continuing absence was discussed and the need to find a
replacement for her. Ann Hollowell, city council, had been notified that the Commission needed
a replacement and she would look into it. Princella Nowell suggested Nick Crawford as maybe
someone who could be contacted.
- Meeting adjourned 7:05 until August 9th 2011 at City Council Chambers.