Washington County Courthouse
May 14, 2013
- 6:03 p.m. meeting called to order
- Roll Call of Commissioners: Walley Morse, Emmett Smith, Jessie Williams, Netty Seard, Barry Piltz, Leonard Williams, Cary Karlson, and Dell Jones. Rebecca Goodman was excused.
- Recognize Guest(s): None
- Minutes from April 9 reviewed.
- Walley gave an update on the Washington County Courthouse plans and Hollandale application progress.
- The Convention and Visitors Bureau, the King's Daughters and Sons Circle #2 grants are on target for the June 1st matching grant deadlines.
- The 3 by 3 markers are being placed on Highway 82, the Henson Museum and Old Number 1 Road.
- Lorenzo Alexander is working along with South Delta, and other governmental entities to fulfill the grant criteria set by MDOT.
- Walley stated that he will request a manual from MDOT to ensure that we are following procedures while working on the Depot.
- Walley stated that the city decided not to take on the responsibility for helping get monies for the rehabilitation of the Elks Lodge owned by MACE.
- Bank statement reviewed.
- Greg Claus has set a meeting date each month for the update regarding the Depot, however Lorenzo Anderson stated that we can postpone the meetings until all paperwork is in order.
- The Historic Preservation Commission was concerned about the COA, a historic district status, at 301 Washington Avenue.
- Belinda Stewart, an architectural consultant, was hired by the City Council and ratified by the city to complete the Depot evaluation.
- Walley suggested we should evaluate and protect our old established historic buildings to eliminate their being lost to future generations, for example the Queen Anne’s House established in Oxford, MS in the1890s. The historic establishment was demolished without realizing the historic value.
— Minutes done by Jessie Williams, Secretary.
- MDAH historic preservation boot camp will be held June 13-14, 2013.
- The Winterville Mounds multi-million dollar facelift is being pursued.
- The Winterville Cemetery work shop will be June 8th.
- Meeting adjourned until June 11, 2013.