Washington County Courthouse
March 11, 2014
- 6:00 p.m. meeting called to order
- Roll call of Commissioners: Barry Piltz, Benjy Nelken, Jessie Williams, Dell Jones, Walley Morse, Rebecca Goodman, Cary Karlson, and Netty Seard. Leonard Williams was absent.
- Recognized Guest: None
- Review of Agenda/Minutes Feb. 11, 2014
- New elected Commissioners: Chairman Barry Piltz, Vice Chairman Benjy Nelken and Jessie Williams, Secretary.
- Walley did check on the CLG status and as a result of our application being sent in late by the state we do lack a LOCAL historic district. However, we are waiting on Washington D.C.to let us know when we will be back in good grace for our CLG status.
- The Charter and Ordinance Committee met on March 7th, requesting that we go back to the 2008 ordinance with some minor changes. The City Attorney said the City Council will meet next week to vote. This means that there will be no more Local Historic District control downtown. Walley stated that the job of the local Historic Preservation Committee is to oversee The Local Historic District. The city will determine if there will be two or one Historic Commission, one for the city and the other for the county each consisting of five persons.
- Jessie asked what constitutes a historic district, does it have to be a block, two houses a house or what? Benjy stated that we support the whole district. Walley said because we have the grant for the depot listed under the Joint Commissionsí name, I hope it stays the same.
- The Depot Plans were shared with the Committee showing the location and space allotted for the Committee and its meetings. There were also other Depots shown to give the Commission some different views and spending possibilities.
- It was also discussed that the Depot project might began the bid-out by June 31, go to the City Committee for recommendations, to the City Council who will decide on the contractors and finally to MDOT where we hopefully will gain our CLG status.
- Walley went to the Board of Supervisors to get the escape plan for the Washington County Courthouse. It is now being drawn up to put in the PFD file for Walley to send to Bill Gatlin for the completion of the Courthouse application.
- A motion was made by Benjy and seconded by Netty to purchase a scrapbook to collect the history of the depot for viewers who would be visiting.
- A motion was made and seconded to pay the city for the Historic Markers that were placed in the Downtown and Main/Washington Historic Residential District.
- Walley will assist Benjy in applying and working on a 501 c 3 for a museum.
- Walley will notify all members of the Commission about the meeting where the City Council will discuss and vote for the separation or combination of the Historic Preservation Commission between the City and County.
- A motion was made by Cary to move the meeting to 5:30 instead of 6:00, it was seconded by Rebecca, motion was carried the commission will now meet at 5:30 pm.
— Minutes done by Jessie Williams, Secretary.
- Report from Walley on the Greenville Industrial College information he received from Bill Gatlin for Jessie.
- Walley will give Dale and Hollandale assistance in getting the basic colors and placement for their Historic Signs.
- The Commissioners are looking forward to the outcome of the CLG Status.
- Meeting adjourned until April 8, 2014.