Washington County Courthouse
September 9, 2014
- 6:00 p.m. meeting called to order by Barry Piltz
- Roll Call of Commissioners: Wally Morse, Benjy Nelkens, Barry Piltz, Jessie Williams, Rebecca Goodman were present. Leonard Williams, Dell Jones, Nettie Seard and Cary Karlson were absent.
- Recognized Guest: None
- Minutes from August 12, 2014 reviewed.
- Megan Brown from the National Park Service stated that this Joint Commission meeting could not be used as a legal entity because it is unlawful for the two commissions to hold their meetings together. The County and City Commissions must meet separately in order to do business legally. However on common projects both would be allowed to work together for the good of the City and County.
- A few motions were missed, one being Benjy made a motion that Mount Holly would become a designated Landmark, it was seconded by Rebecca Goodman all voted in favor except Walley voted nay. Walley also stated that he asked the City to appoint the newly elected City Commission and they have not.
- Wally made a motion that the minutes be adopted after corrections. It was seconded by Barry and the motion was carried.
- Walley made a suggestion that the City keep the appointed Commissioners to the city however the city decided to not change from the Commissioners that had been previously elected.
- Jessie asked what are the procedures for making an old house over fifty years old in the city a landmark house such as the Coleman House across from Ella Darling School? The answer was that this would be a good project for Jessie.
- Benjy suggested that we need to hire a paid director to handle the affairs of the Commissions in order to get what we need done in this district.
- Walley made a motion to suspend the activities of the Joint Historical Preservation Commission until reorganization is legally organized with officials of the City and/or County Commissioners. The Joint commission has decided to suspend itself until the purpose is made clear. The motion was seconded by Rebecca and carried. The Commission is now in suspension.
- Barry gave an update on the Depot. He stated that the PS&A was waiting on the Memorandum of Understanding report between the City and County. It was passed to MDOT, and they found an unfinished window. Craig assured that the item would be taken care of and we would not lose our funds for the Depot.
- Bank Statement was reviewed.
- A letter was sent to Michelle Jones (Historic Preservation Division) stating that the activities of the Joint Commission have been suspended until all documents are in order.
- After the Joint Commioners' meeting, the City Commission met to elect its Officers and are anxious to work with the new challenges.
— Minutes done by Jessie Williams, Secretary.
- We are waiting for the outcome of our Historic Preservation Commission decision.
- Meeting adjourned until suspension is lifted. Our meeting date would have been October 14, 2014.