Greenville Historic Preservation Commission
Greenville City Hall Council Chambers
March 8, 2016
- 11:00 a.m. Meeting called to order
- Roll call of Commissioners: Benjy Nelken, Mary Williams, Barry Piltz, Cary Karlson. Jessie Williams was absent.
- Recognize guests: Brad Jones and Mayor Eric Simmons.
- With the secretary absent, there was no review of the bank statement or the minutes from last month’s meeting.
- Update on Depot Restoration: Brad Jones said all is moving ahead with the “Concurrence of Contract” by MDOT being okay and after the “Contract Certification” of subcontractors is authorized, the notice of awards and the notice to proceed will be executed. All of this should take place in several weeks and work should begin at the end of March.
- Depot Lease and Future Maintenance: As discussed, the facility is owned jointly by the City and County. Carlson stated that the most rent his economic development organization will pay for its occupancy is $200.00 a month. With this low rent in mind, the agreement was that this Commission will attend both a City Council meeting and Board of Supervisors meeting to discuss with these governmental bodies the issue of maintenance and repairs once the depot is occupied. It is assumed that the city/county will be willing to split these expenses. It need to be documented stating which organization will receive the Depot’s rental income. Karlson also stated that it may be prudent for the responsible organization, to market the premises in order to obtain another tenant that may pay a reasonable market rental.
- Mayor Simmons suggested that when the commission attends the City/County Board meetings, that the Historic Commission representatives request that a line item be placed on the budgets in order that needed appropriations will be allocated for the organization’s financial needs.
- Historic Commissioners Terms: It was decided that Barry Plitz will generate a chart clarifying the staggered 3 years terms for members, and this will be delivered to the Mayor’s office for the city’s files. For the sake of continuity, when a member’s term is ending, the commission will ask the council to reappoint him/her for a new 3 year term.
— Minutes done by Benjy Nelken, Jessie Williams, Secretary.
- With no other business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned until April 12, 2016