Home  
  Minutes – September 13, 2016   
  Back  

Greenville Historic Preservation Commission
Greenville City Hall Council Chambers
September 13, 2016

  • 11:00 a.m. Meeting called to order
  • Roll Call of the Commissioners: Benjy Nelken, Mary Williams, Cary Karlson, Barry Piltz and Jessie Williams. Brad Jones was excused because of other obligations.
  • Recognize Guests: Walley Morse and Andy Alexander
  • There were no meeting minutes read for August 9, 2016 because the Commission lacked a quorum.
Old Business
  1. Bank Statement Reviewed.
  2. A motion was made and seconded by Barry to send a letter to Trustmark Bank asking them to change the name on the account from Joint Greenville Washington County Historic Preservation Commission to Greenville Historic Preservation Commission. The motion was seconded and carried. Jessie will send the letter to the bank requesting a change in the name on the bank account.
  3. Status on the Depot: Brad Jones expressed to Benjy that all the necessary paper work for the Depot is intact but once again MDOT has to go through the paper work and approve it. Mr. Gear is the construction builder.
  4. The Commission is looking possibly at the first of July for the mobilization of a construction company to actively start work.
  5. Status on the grant from the Fire Station Museum. Barry asked Walley if he had changed his mind about writing the grant for the Fire Station. Walley said no. The issue came up and they decided to take $156,000 out of taxpayers' money to put on the walking trail. We should to get the money for the Fire station. Walley will write the grant and match it with another written grant and get enough money to complete the Fire Station. Jessie stated that she called the grant writer, Jacorious Liner, and he said he did call and did not get a response from at the Commission. Jessie asked if he could work with other museums in the city, and he said he could. Benji stated that the grant writer should put the museums in the city on the front burner. The Commission still does not know the working status of the city grant writer.
  6. Benjy stated the walking trail would begin at Warfield Road and stop at the City Levee Front. Jessie questioned not Nelson? He stated not Nelson.
  7. Update on the Sears building: Mary stated that she made an attempt to speak with Mr. Bokins, but he was at the bank in a meeting. She stated she texted Mr. Bokins on the 12th, and he was out of town. Mary has not been able to contact him. She called him back and got disconnected. She wished to inquire if the commission could go ahead and pay him for photographs she has now, or should we wait? She wanted to know how she should proceed. Benjy recommended gathering all pictures and then lay out the story line chronologically. Barry suggested that we need to keep a history and scrapbook documentation of the Sears Building’s growth.
  8. The update on the MOU for the ownership, distribution and landlord of the Depot is to be written by the City Attorney, Andy Alexander. The Historic Preservation Commission will be the city’s Landlord for the Depot. The EDC is a nonprofit 501 (c) 3 appraised by three groups, who signed a lease for five years the EDC, the County and the City. However no basic decision has yet been decided because of the unwritten MOU.
  9. The EDC needs an MOU with the Chamber of Commerce to determine who is responsible for the signing of documents such as leases and etc.
  10. Walley gave a brief history of the Mound Tour in and around the Delta and a disc found at Grace MS dating back to1871. He acquired a replica of the disc and created an informative binder and gave it to Benjy for his Museum.
  11. The question was asked about the location of the Court House. The issue has not yet been decided however, one suggestion is possibly the Old Elks building across from the Sears Building.
  12. Jessie asked how to get the city grant writer to become a part of your project. Benjy suggested going to the city clerk and asking how to contact the grant writer? Cary suggested contacting the writer and telling them what you are looking for. He stated that it will take a lot more research.
  13. Benjy asked Jessie if she is sending the minutes to the necessary places to be documented for the Commission. Her answer was yes.
  14. Cary stated that they are in the process of writing a grant. We have had person to write before Alyson Denson at South Delta Planning, Delta Council and now Hillary Boggs will work with us, she has some grant-writing experience. We are now writing several grants.
  15. A motion was made that the commission needed a sustainable group in the Depot building as steward from henceforth. Walley ask how much will the group have pay per month and how much is EDC willing to pay?
  16. The commission made a motion that the EDC would pay $150.00 a month which was stipulated in the original grant.

New Business

  1. Construction on the Depot.
  2. Meeting adjourned until October 11, 2016
— Minutes done by Jessie Williams, Secretary.

  Home  
  Minutes – September 13, 2016   
  Back