Home  
  Minutes – June 13, 2017   
  Back  

Greenville Historic Preservation Commission
Greenville City Hall Council Chambers
June 13, 2017

  • 11:00 a.m. Meeting called to order.
  • Roll call of commisioners: Benjy Nelken, Barry Piltz, Mary Williams Cary Karlson and Jessie Williams were present.
  • Recognize guest(s): Walley Morse
Old Business
  1. Minutes from May 9th meeting were read and adopted.
  2. Bank Statement reviewed.
  3. Benjy stated that Walley would give us an update on a few things concerning the Depot. Walley had visited with Ms. Wicks concerning the money at the Depot and that we don’t have enough for a new roof. It should be finished by the 3rd of July however, we asked for an extension of a month or two. The architect price was $76,136, slightly more than expected. I would like to request that we have an open house once the Depot is done, so the public can view the Depot. We will present a lot trip down memory lane. Benjy, Mary and myself attended a workshop in Cleveland, MS, it was very informative. Mary stated that she was highly impressed about the Emmet Till Display. We had anticipated doing more for the Fire House, but they said it was not funded this year. We did not get the $2,000,000, so we wrote to ask about it and still have not heard. I sent a letter of Intent to Ms. Jones at MDAH asking about the money for the project and am still waiting for a reply. The cost for the plaque to be placed on the Depot is $1,031.00. A motion was made and seconded to use the Commissioner’s credit card to pay for the plaque. The plaque is to measure 18 x 24 inches and will be placed on the Depot. Walley took pictures of the Sears building from the beginning of its restoration, and Mary is continuing to follow up on the project by collecting pictures.
  4. Benjy asked again about the roof of the depot. Walley stated that it had been repaired with a good patch job. Walley stated we need to do a good paint job in order to get the asbestos out for about $9,000. We have tried to save the old materials that were useable.
  5. Jessie asked about the storage place that was designated for the commission’s room at the Depot, which was written into the original plan. Walley suggested that we use Benjy‘s place for historic storage. Jessie suggested that we use a place that is accessible at all times in a public setting that is a part of the city and county. Wally stated that the room was so small, Jessie asked who designated this room Walley stated Belinda Steward. I thought she did the work and we decided which rooms would be used for what. Walley stated that he did go by and talk to Main Street to ask them to go by and look at it. Walley stated he would love to see Daniel Boggs or Anne go in the building. However the City and County will have the final say.
  6. Walley stated that he had completed all the paperwork when he passed the Depot project. He stated that the county wanted Boggs to help pave their road (Reed Road) and asked him to agree to that, and they will give up their rights to the Depot.
  7. Benjy stated that he had noticed a number of gas trucks as he passed the Depot. Walley explained that the Depot will be totally electric. Barry asked about the floor? Walley explained about the different tile that was used in order to complete the floors.
  8. Benjy asked Walley about the signs or markers that are used by Land Markers.
  9. Benjy asked Mary about the Sears Project. She was told by Wally and Benjy to arrange the pictures chronologically. Mary’s pictures will be placed in the depot.

New Business

  1. The meeting was adjourned until July 11, 2017
— Minutes done by Jessie Williams, Secretary.

  Home  
  Minutes – June 13, 2017   
  Back