History reveals that the Armitage-Herschell Carousel, located in the E. E. Bass Jr. High Gym, arrived in Greenville in 1901. It was purchased in St. Louis and transported to Greenville. Eli Franklin Wineman refurbished and repaired the carousel and assembled it on his yard. As popularity grew he moved the carousel and continued to please the surrounding communities until his health failed in 1934.
He sold it to Harry Crockett, who moved it to Walthall Street where it remained until his death in 1952. His widow, Mary, sold the carousel to the Junior Women's Club of Greenville in 1954. In 1956 the carousel opened at Fairyland Park across from the High School. It remained there until 1968 where it was in such a state of disrepair they put it in storage. It remained there until 2007 when it was finally completely restored and placed in the E. E. Bass Jr. High Gym.
It is a classic example of the type of entertainment that was available in the early 1900's. As an example to the stationary Carousel of the period this is an example of the engineering ingenuity where they adapted the format of the carousel so it could be taken down and moved with ease.